Sunday, May 18, 2014

My Kind of Dessert!


During nap time today Neil and I made some chocolate mousse!  I was rather confused on how to make it because some recipes called for egg whites and some called for egg yolks.  Some called for semisweet, some for bittersweet. Being a dark chocolate fan, I decided to go with bittersweet and I went with egg yolks because it required less eggs.  The result was amazing!  I knew it would be.  I've always liked chocolate mousse at restaurants, but I've never tried it at home.  A newbie no more, I'm hooked.  The only issue is that I had to dirty 3 bowls to do it and once the chocolate, egg and whipped cream harden, it's hard to clean them up!  So word to the wise, clean out the bowls right away, you'll thank me later.

Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse
adapted from Taste of Home

8 oz. 60% bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used and recommend Ghiradelli)
1/2 c. water, divided
2 T butter
1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3 egg yolks
2 T. sugar

In a microwave, melt the chocolate, butter and 1/4 cup of water.  It should take about a minute.  Stir until combined and without lumps.  Cool for 10 minutes.

In a small saucepan, heat on medium heat and stir the egg yolks, remaining water and 2 T sugar until 160 degrees or until it's thick enough to coat the back of the metal spoon.  (Mine got pretty foamy, so I couldn't tell if it was getting thick.  Then I saw curdles, so I lowered the heat and whisked rigorously until it was all better, have a whisk close!)  Remove from heat and add the chocolate mixture.  Stir until smooth.

In an ice water bath, place the saucepan and stir and cool for 5-10 minutes.  Meanwhile, beat the whipping cream until soft peak form.

Once the chocolate mixture is cooled, fold in the whipping cream.  Distribute into 6-8 small dessert dishes.  (I used 4 8 oz. jelly jars).  Refrigerate for 4 hours to overnight.

Enjoy!

No comments: